Monday, December 23, 2013

Unashamed

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." ~Matthew 28:19-20

Witnessing has never been a strength of mine. I am a shy person, quieter than most and definitely do not like to be the center of attention (yup-I'm the person with the beet red face). However, God gave us this command in Matthew. He does not add an asterisk* next to it and say at the bottom-only those who are outgoing or great speakers, etc. Nope, its not there. However, He gives me Himself. He goes with me always and that is why I can witness. Through Him and Him alone. I have this amazing, life-changing news (John 3:16) and how can I possibly keep it to myself?!?! 

This is what the latest controversy has me thinking about lately. Phil Robertson..."Duck Dynasty"...you know what I am talking about. I love the Robertsons. I love the show. I would love to meet them and hang out with them for a day or a week or a month. The longer, the better. When you watch the show, week to week, you see what is important to them. Their faith, their family and ducks! Their millionaires yet they don't act like it. They are warm, relatable and loveable. There is no pretense or airs. What you see is what you get. And you get a lot! 

The Robertsons are not afraid to witness. There are unapologetic, unashamed and undaunted. It does not matter who you are...a neighbor or a GQ reporter...they are going to tell you the Gospel news! They will share with you this life-changing news no matter what. Phil knows who he answers to and it is not men. Phil loves people so much that he wants to share the Gospel in order that people can be saved and have eternal life. If you have never heard the Robertson stories of redemption, listen here at  http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/the-robertsons/

The Bible tells us: 

"For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." Mark 8:38 (see also Luke 9:26)

"For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Romans 1:16

"for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Therefore, do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began..." 2 Timothy 1:7-9

"for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me." 2 Timothy 1:11-12

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

"Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name." 1 Peter 4:16 

At one point in the interview, Phil did not use the best choice of words. However, that is between him and God. It is not my place to judge as I do not always make the best choices and have the best reactions. Each day I fail, yet God is full of grace and mercy. 

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 

As a Christian, I believe you cannot pick and choose which parts of the Bible you want to believe. All Scripture is God's truth. The Bible is used-for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness-why? so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 


I stand by the Word of God. 
I stand by my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. 
I am not ashamed. 


Linking with Inspire Me Monday and Titus 2 Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment