Friday, January 30, 2015

Anger and Humility

Anger is a powerful emotion. It can overtake you, make you lose control, say things you might never normally say. Anger can cause regret. However, I have recently learned that anger can bring clarity. Anger can trigger responses from people that show you who they really are. 

I have grown much closer to God these past two months. He has revealed to me many things about myself I wish were not so- how selfish I can be, how much pride I have, how judgmental my thoughts are. Last night in James 4 I read these powerful words:

"You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, "He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us?" But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." ~James 4:4-8


It is a struggle to not want the things of this world. Friendship with the world can make you feel so good, so happy, so accepted. However, the things of the world are temporary and fleeting. They might offer quick fixes and momentary pleasure, but they will not satisfy. 

As I spend time with God everyday, He is teaching me that while I am on this earth I will struggle. I will make mistakes. I will get angry. I will say things that I shouldn't have. However, I am learning that through my wrong choices He can bring good. He can bring clarity. I am far from perfect, but He gives more grace. As I submit to God and resist the devil and all his lies, I am being refined and renewed day by day. His grace does that- it makes me new. 

Everyday I want to pursue God and fix my eyes on Him more than I did the day before. He alone sustains and restores and uses all things for my good and His glory. I am His. It is not my own doing-I am nothing. It is all about God. It is what I was created for. I am not here to find joy or completeness. I am already complete. I already have joy. Why? Because I have God! He is forever faithful, full of compassionate love and unending grace-even when I don't deserve it-especially when I don't deserve it. 


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Krystal. Every word I can relate to. God is doing great things through you. Never lose sight of His purpose for your life. :)

    ReplyDelete