Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Radical Experiment

I just finished reading the book Radical by David Platt. I know I was meant to read this book at this exact time in my life. Two years ago, a year, even 6 months ago, God knew that my heart was not ready to really connect with what Platt is saying and take action. However, beginning on July 1st, I will take action and begin "The Radical Experiment" proposed by Platt in his book. The goal of the Radical Experiment is for individuals, families, and faith families to spend their lives together for the sake of the church, the lost and the poor around the world to the glory of God. (radicalexperiment.org

This experiment has five challenges. 

  1.  to pray for the entire world
  2. to read through the entire Word
  3. to sacrifice your money for a specific purpose 
  4. to spend time in another context 
  5. to commit your life to a multiplying community
As I continued reading about each of these challenges, I felt God's calling growing within me. 

Challenge 1- to pray for the entire world. Platt encourages his readers to use the website www.operationworld.org. When I saw the website and the resources offered, I knew I would be able to truly commit to this step by purchasing the book Operation World by Jason Mandryk. It arrived from Amazon today and is filled with everything I need to know about the nations. 

Challenge 2-to read through the entire Word. I am currently doing this step and will continue reading the Word during the next year. 

Challenge 3- to sacrifice your money for a specific purpose. This step is really exciting to me. I have been asking God to reveal which organization He wants me to sacrificially give to. According to their website, "Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to people hurting around the world." (www.samaritanspurse.org) If you want to find out more about this organization, I recommend visiting their website. I was amazed at all the ministry projects that are happening right now around the world. 

Challenge 4- to spend time in another context, either domestically or internationally. Basically, tell others about Jesus, but get out of your community to do it. The commitment is 2% (one week out of the entire year). Due to health reasons, I know this component will be a bit harder, but I am willing to say "Yes, Lord" and I know He will provide a way. 

Component 5-to commit your life to a multiplying community. In other words, commit to a church, get involved in your church and help your church grow and multiply. I have found a church that I have been going to for the last two years. I am hoping as my health improves that I will be able to get more involved in my small group. 

Wow! Seeing it all written out before me is a little overwhelming, but I know that "I can do all things through God who strengthens me." ~Philippians 4:13 

Linking with The Modest Mom and Inspire Me Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment