Thursday, April 11, 2013

More than Conquerors? Yes please!

Romans 8 is an amazing chapter! When verse 1 starts off with "There therefore is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" and ends in verses 38 and 39 telling us "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" I can't help but want to read what God says in between and He says so very much. 

Today was a difficult day. I was in a lot of pain and weary and by noon time I was done with chatty students who did not want to listen or use inside voices. My patience was gone and I confessed to God that I just could not do it. I told my para (who is with me all day and is such a blessing and huge help) that I just wanted to go home. I felt defeated. In God's amazing love, He granted me an abundance of grace and carried me through the rest of the day. 

Normally I get in my car and turn on the radio to country music. However, today I could not listen to even that. I knew I had to turn on my praise and worship music because my whole being-physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually- needed to worship God, to be filled with Him- because really how can we keep from praising His name-even on the bad days? 

As I drove home singing my heart out to God (Chris Tomlin's new CD-Burning Lights is awesome), a verse from Romans 8 popped into my head and stayed there. Verse 37 says "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." MORE THAN CONQUERORS! Not just conquerors- MORE THAN CONQUERORS!!! 

As I sit here writing this I am thinking what exactly does this mean. By definition conquer means "to overcome or surmount by physical, mental, or moral force: to be victorious; win."

We are more than conquerors. Over what? Verses 35 and 36 has the answer "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” 

And why are we more than conquerors? Because Christ has already won. He is victorious over sin and death and the grave. He has conquered all and by grace we have received the victory without having to earn it. In my sufferings, trials and temptations, I can be more than a conqueror but only through Christ who has set me free. I can never be separated from the love of God no matter what comes my way. Praise God!!!


1 comment:

  1. I think what Im most thinking about tonite is "do I really believe He has conquered" all...I think this showa me that no matter what I think my heart may believe deep down within I am still searching to really believe He has and I think I am just hanging there "by a thread" hoping that my search will have it confirmed. When all is said and done, Im no different then Thomas

    ReplyDelete